RSV is basically a very bad cold to anyone from a toddler to a grown up...but since Darby was only 2 weeks old...she can not fight off a cold. She cannot blow her nose, she can not "cough up" the stuff in her lungs like us....so therefore she just gets more & more sick. They said that it's going around right now, they had about 10 kids admitted in Pediatrics with it. They said it's different every year...kinda like the different variances of the Flu every year. They had to put us on a different floor because of overflow...but when the Dr. saw her, he immediately moved us down to Pediatrics, right next to the ICU....he told me that she was a very sick little girl, and that he wanted her right next to the ICU in case they needed to admit her into there.
Sick little Darby....
My poor little angel needed constant oxygen to help her breathe...
She was also hooked up to all kinds of monitors to make sure she was getting enough oxygen, and to check her heart rate at all times. They prepped her for an IV, but luckily, never had to use it. It was hard for either of us to get any rest...it seemed liked the Nurses/Doctors were in our room every hour doing or so checking something...but at least I knew she was going to be ok.Thursday night she went the whole night without Oxygen help...YAY!
(she needed to be off Oxygen for 24 hours before they would consider letting her go home, and when she slept was when she had needed it the most)
On Friday the Dr. took x-rays again, said she looked better, but wanted to keep her & check again in the morning. He still wanted to monitor her.Here is a picture of her Friday evening....you could tell she was starting to feel better....I know she looks sad in this pic, but it was the first time I had seen her eyes this wide open in DAYS....
I was changing her diaper...and noticed her LONG chicken legs....there's no fat on them...LOL!
and finally on Saturday they told us we could take her home!!!!
I still have to give her breathing treatments every 4 hours or so...and they said that we need to be very careful with her for a while, she might get sick easily, and her immune system has taken a big shot.
That is just FINE WITH ME....I am just glad she is ok.
It was a very stressful couple of days. I was at the Hospital 24/7, Kevin was running back n' forth. My parents were full time parents to Dakota & my dogs. I was missing my little guy so much. Kevin's car broke, and we had to miss his niece's wedding in Key West. We were sooo looking forward to going to it...it broke my heart when Kevin told me that even he didn't think that he could go :( It's not very often that all of his family gets in the same place at the same time, and I didn't want him to miss it. It was a very sad couple of days.
BUT...I have to tell ya...after sitting in the Pediatrics floor for 5 days...I feel BLESSED that Darby was ok, that she was being taken care of, and that I knew she was going to be ok...things could be A LOT worse. A little reminder to count your blessings!
Let's hope that things are on the up and up from here on out :)







No comments:
Post a Comment